philwoods.com

Welcome to the philwoods.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   philwoods.com > Jazz Discussion Forums > Discography

Discography A place to discuss the recorded works of Phil Woods

Old 09-26-2005   #1
aussie steve

Default Sonata For Piano and Sax

One of my radio listeners here in Melbourne has e-mailed me, asking me to play Phil's Sonata for Piano and Saxophone on "Jazz On Saturday." I hate to admit it, but I'm not familiar with this work. Can I get some help tracking down a copy?

By the way, if you're interested in what we play on PBS-FM at this end of the world, go to: www.jazzonsaturday.com You'll note that rather a lot of Phil's music ends up on the Victorian airwaves on a Saturday morning.

And if you are curious about what might have happened to Charlie Parker, Charlie Christian, Leon Roppolo, Bix and Clifford Brown had they NOT died young , have a look at this rather fanciful speculation at http://althistory.wikicities.com/wiki/List_of_Althists

Looking forward to hearing Phil's new CD with Bud Shank, just as soon as I can persuade PayPal to accept my credit card numbers. I've tried three times, but PP ain't happy.
aussie steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2005   #2
bkirbysax

Aussie Steve,

Sonata for alto sax and piano by Phil Woods was originally titled Four Moods for Alto and Piano. It was written for and dedicated to Victor Morosco. This piece is unique in they way the performer must play whats on the page as well as improvise. Victor Morosco has a recording of this on his album Double Exposure.

Hope this helps,

Brett
bkirbysax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005   #3
aussie steve

Thanks, Brett, I'll check it out.
Old 10-01-2005   #4
jzzgtr
Silver Quill

As probably a lot people here know, Phil also wrote a great piece for Sax quartet too.
jzzgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005   #5
bebop4jim

Default great quartets

Phil wrote two that I know of, Three Improvisations and Deerhead Sketches. Both are fun and challenging to play. The New York Saxophone quartet has recorded both of them. Three Improvisations is on the album called "The New York Saxophone Quartet". They recorded three of the four movements of Deerhead Sketches on their album "Urbanology", on which Phil reviews the tunes in the liner notes. I'd recommend both albums to all.

Jim
bebop4jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006   #6
Jill
Gold Quill

Default Recording of Sonata

We get questions about the availibilty of recordings of the Sonata for Alto Saxophone and Piano (Four Moods) so I am posting the answer to the question here. The best recording of this piece is by Victor Morosco, for whom the piece was written. I believe that Vic's recording can be purchased through his website: http://www.morsax.com. This recording is old now, and Phil did some rewriting of the piece, but you can get a good idea of how it goes from Mr. Morosco's interpretation. He is an extraordinary saxophonist.

I hope this will provide the answer that those seeking this piece will need.

Jill
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #7
TMadness1013

Send a message via AIM to TMadness1013

I have just started studying Phil's Sonata for Alto & Piano and I'm really enjoying it. I also picked up Victor Morosco's CD which is phenomenal.

However, since I have the new edition w/ Phil's revisions, I was curious if anyone knew of a good recording of the newer edition?

Thanks in advance.
TMadness1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #8
pianoforte089

Default sax sonata 1997

i'm studiing old version as pianist.

does new version require free impro in the IV? as the old version?

what do you think about ( i heared about) Harle recording? is that available on wich label?
pianoforte089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #9
Jill
Gold Quill

Default Old versus New

I can't answer the question about the changes in the Sonata, but I believe that any improvisatory sections remained in the piece.

As far as a recording by John Harle, you could check at his website at: http://www.johnharle.com/ and see if he has a recording available. If not, maybe a search of his name at the various online CD stores would yield something.

Thanks for your interest in Phil's music.

Jill
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #10
Tommaso Vivaldi

Smile " Sonata Phil Woods " by Tommaso Vivaldi

Hello everyone:
This version of the Sonata by Phil Woods
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I play Alto Sax and Pianoforte

Itunes:
http://itunes.apple.com/it/album/id4...ign-mpt=uo%3D4
In all the music stores on December 10.

http://www.tommasovivaldi.com

for more information:vivalditommaso@yahoo.it

Thanks Tommaso Vivaldi
Tommaso Vivaldi is offline   Reply With Quote